Saturday, September 24, 2011

Citizen Kane

Directed by: Orson Welles
(1941)

For a 40's film, Citizen Kane is way beyond exceptional. I am not really into old films since I easily get distracted and annoyed of the audio and visual effects because I was born in the early 90's and I got used to watching films with the 21st century technology. But upon watching Citizen Kane, I was surprised to see something that I did not expect to see. The scenes were clearly shot and shown throughout the movie. I would also like to commend the deep focus shots in the movie, where certain scenes showcased shots that were zoomed in clearly. I did not expect to see this kind of visual effect since in the 1940s, this is not evident, but apparently, even though the movie is in black and white, I was able to appreciate its beauty for its showed exemplary scenes that cannot be made by ordinary movie makers. What I do not like though is the fact that people are talking way too fast and I am really having a hard time understanding what the characters are saying. I had to watch it again for the second time to verify whether I was able to understood it correctly since subtitles are not available. But I guess it is just normal for people in those times to talk fast. 

Flashbacks were shown throughout the film, where various persons related to Charles Foster Kane were reiterating the happenings in his life, from the moment he was taken away from his parents until before he died alone, in the search for the meaning of "Rosebud", the last word that he said before he died. I got curious at this as well, which made me really watch the movie from the beginning until the end. Kane lives through the memories of the people telling his story. He has good intentions at first, but it got converted to greed and selfishness as he got popular and as he acquired wealth. He took control of the newspaper and everything written on it were in favor of him which reminds me of politics in the Philippines. Some publications are owned by wealthy and powerful politicians which publishes news that are completely one-sided and of course, in-favor of the politician's cabinet. If only all politicians have the REAL desire to uplift the lives of people in their country, we are not far behind from attaining progress in this country. Most [if not all] politicians are just good at first, which is common among Filipinos, the "Manana" habit or "maya na" habit. Kane had everything a man could ever wish for but as a saying goes, not all things could be bought. "Rosebud" was shown in the last part of the movie where it was written on his sled from his childhood, the only time that he experienced genuine happiness and it symbolized his loss of innocence. This whole "Rosebud" thing left me thinking on what is my own "Rosebud". Up until now, i'm having a hard time thinking since I really had a lot of childhood memories, some of which I have fully forgotten already (sorry, but I think I have a bad memory on recalling things). With all the exceptional audio and visual effects and a well-written story, Citizen Kane, for me, is one of the greatest films of all time.

Favorite scenes and shots:


(Click picture to see the .gif image)
These shots show Kane in two different perspectives, the first one in which he is much smaller than the gigantic windows and the second one in the windows seem to be in normal size. Kane would always be the same man to himself, but to others (audience) he is a completely different person.  




(Click picture to see the .gif image)
These shots show Kane's marriage and his relationship with his wife through time. From being newly-weds to being apart.




This scene really caught my attention for it depicts how Susan Alexander was controlled by Kane. She was always overshadowed by him and she is living the life that he wants her to have [and not what she wants her to have].



This scene was shown near the end of the film, where Kane's reflection was shown in the mirror. It shows how he reflects his life before he dies.


RATING:



Screen shots taken from:
http://movieimages.tripod.com/citizenkane/index.html
http://movieimages.tripod.com/citizenkane/part2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment